Monday, April 27, 2015

Fascismo nunca mais

Last Saturday Portugal was celebrating a big day: Carnation Revolution, also known as Revolução dos Cravos or 25 de Abril in Portuguese and Neilikkavallankumous in Finnish.

http://kleberly.com


I am going to put the idea here very simply: on the 25th of April on 1974, Portugal had a revolution and stop the facism. Good bye dictatorship, good bye Salazar. The reason why the day is called carnation revolution is because the revolution was almost bloodless and peaceful. The symbol of the revolution is of course the flower carnation that the military was putting on the pipes of their guns.

There was lots of things going on on that day and I think the biggest happening was going on on Rossio square, the place I work. In Rossio there was a big, I mean BIG parade (there was just people coming and coming and coming on!!) and some sort of concert and gathering. People were selling the flowers and many people were walking with these flowers on their hands (we had one at the reception as well).

On that day I wasn´t able to join the celebration since I was working. Anyway I was able to follow the party through the window-door we have at the reception. I also went outside just for a minute to try to take photos here but I did not make any success. All day I was listening the drums, music, singing and shouting people on the street.

Since I was not able to get you guys any videos, I am taking a right to put some here from Youtube.

Gathering at Rossio square:


Some clips from the parade from Marquês de Pombal to Rossio square:


No comments:

Post a Comment